By Zainab N.B.
Via Dave Deans Place
2 cups of all-purpose flour
2 large egg yolks
2/3 cup shortening + 1 tablespoon of water
¼ teaspoon salt
Lemon zest (2-3 tablespoons equiv. to one whole lemon zest)
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
For the glaze:
½ cup of icing sugar
2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
– In a medium bowl, whisk sugar, lemon zest and shortening (plus 1 tablespoon of water) together until well combined. Then, beat in the egg yolks to the mixture.
– In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt and almonds.
– Add the flour mixture to the shortening mixture until well combined or until large lumps begin to appear.
The mixture may be folded into a large ball and refrigerated for a few minutes, in order to make it firm. But this step is not necessary.
– Fold the mixture into a ball, and knead on a flat surface until the dough has been flattened.
– Then cut the flattened dough into desired cookie shape/size.
– Bake the cookies in the oven for 10-15 minutes. This time length is completely subjective based on how soft or hard the cookies are desired.
– Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes
– Once, the cookies have cooled, drizzle the lemon glaze over the cookies and refrigerate for a few minutes to make the glaze firm.
*This recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies (~48 cookies in total)
Zainab N.M. is a recent university graduate, she has chosen medicine as her career but writing, telling stories and other forms of creativity are her passion. You can find her at Dave Deans Place.