I think I can speak for almost everyone when I say that during the summer months my oven rarely ever gets turned on. There is a lot of grilling, lots of sandwiches, and plenty of salads. Not just tossed salad with lettuce and a handful of tomatoes, but a variety of interesting salad creations, yes some are made with various greens and fresh raw veggies, but we like pasta and potatoes too. They’re simple, delicious, and are great leftover the next day (we just switch up the meat we grill) or a quick and easy lunch.
These are some favourite summer salad recipes:
– Depending on what the rest of the ingredients are, I will use either elbow, penne or bowtie shaped dry noodles. After the pasta has been cooked according to the package (do not overcook) and cooled, you are ready to create.
- Greek – use penne noodles, add greek salad dressing to your taste, along with crumbled feta cheese and finely chopped red onion. Add sliced black olives and halved cherry tomatoes and gently mix. Delicious with grilled chicken. Try chopping the leftover chicken and adding it to the salad for lunch the next day.
- Tuna or Shrimp – I usually use elbows for this one. Add mayonnaise or Kraft Miracle Whip to the cooked pasta, along with a handful each of finely chopped green onions, red pepper and celery and mix well. Drain a can (or 2) or tuna or salad shrimp and gently stir. This pairs nicely with grilled burgers or sausage.
– Different types of potatoes will give you different results as they taste and cook differently, so you should experiment to see what your family likes. We like yellow fleshed as well as mini potatoes, both white and red.
- Steakhouse Ranch – I originally found this recipe on the Kraft Canada website and have made it several times. It is our family favourite and is always requested at family get-togethers.
- Classic – our favourite “classic” recipe also comes from Kraft Canada’s website.
Main Course Salads
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad – Serve grilled chicken sliced diagonally on top of a bed of caesar salad. You can pickup an easy caesar salad kit or use your favourite recipe. This also works well with sliced grilled steak or even grilled shrimp
- Seafood Salad – Toss shrimp and crab meat and fresh dill, romaine lettuce, and greek yogurt together.
My favourite thing about salad is that there really is no way to do it wrong.
Experiment and have fun with your favourite ingredients!