We asked you to share your favourite recipes for the holidays in our Holiday Baking Recipe Giveaway, and here are our top three submissions:
Classic Christmas Thumbprint Cookies
Submitted by: Sophie Williams
Makes about 3 dozen
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cut butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts
- About 6 tablespoons of jelly or jam (any flavour)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat brown sugar, shortening, butter, vanilla, and egg yolk in medium bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in flour and salt.
3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Beat egg white slightly with a fork. Dip each ball into egg white; roll in nuts. Place about 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press thumb into the centre of each cookie to make a mark (but not all the way through).
4. Bake about 10 minutes or until light brown. Remake the indentations if necessary with end of a wooden spoon while cookie is warm and soft. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
5. Fill each thumbprint with about a 1/2 teaspoon of jelly
Gluten-Free Coconut Cookies
Submitted by: Silvia Ciccone
Makes about 20 cookies
- 250 g (1 cup) shredded coconut
- 100 g butter
- 3/4 sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 2 egg whites
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add milk and sugar. Add coconut and mix well together.
2. Beat the egg whites until stiff, then add to gently stir with the rest.
3. Use ice cream scoop to scoop nice round balls and place it on a greased baking tray.
4. Bake in 350°F for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Hello Dolly Squares
Submitted by: Elizabeth Laszlo
- 1 cup of unsalted butter
- 4 cups of graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups of sweetened coconut
- 2 cups of chopped, raw pecans
- 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly butter a 9 x 13 baking dish. Pour graham crackers into baking dish. Melt butter on medium heat and add to crumbs. Stir until mixed and smooth out into dish.
3. Pour the chocolate chips, coconut, and pecans onto the graham base, in three layers. Pour the sweetened condensed milk on top, and bake for 30 minutes. Cool and cut into bars.